Followers

Monday 31 October 2011

Male/24/From Austria/Exchange student in Korea


1.Why study or work abroad?

-Advantages and disadvantages of being abroad

Adv.:

* Get a lot of money in this programme
* Get to know many people from all around the world
* Don't need to study as hard as usually and still get a pass and credits
* Widens your horizon, social skills, cultural understanding
* Learning languages

Disadv.:

* Can't be with your friends and family for some time
* Maybe miss some cool stuff back home (events, sports, etc.)
* Can be difficult to acclimatize
* Experience the feeling of being a stranger (Can be interesting too, but it's a basic need of humans to be socially accepted)

-homesickness

Naturally, I miss my girlfriend and my family, also my friends, my sports club, the mountains, etc.. But as I know that it's just a temporary stay, I'm not too homesick. Also, I found many friends and I like the food, the culture, and everything here.

-motivations (reason)

* I want to learn Korean
* I like Korean people


2. What do you think about its culture (food, traditions, values, people)?

As in every culture, there are some good and some not so good things. I don't want to explain what I think is good and bad, because it's pointless. Society must be accepted as it is. It's within the responsibility of individuals in this society to make the best out of it and find a way to combine one's own and the society's values.

- Have you experienced cultural differences? (language barriers, lifestyle)?
I experienced lots and lots of cultural differences in almost all aspects of society I encountered: Table manners, social rank, mutual respect, school life, university life, and so on. I could write pages about the differences.


3. For foreigners, why come and study in Korea? in SCNU?

-motivations (reason)

* I had been to Korea three times before (ex-girlfriend is Korean)
* I want to learn Korean
* I like Korean people
* I chose CBNU (not SCNU) because Seoul is too big for me and because I Chungcheonbuk-do is the only region without connection to the sea - just like Austria.


How can the experiences, knowledge and skills you acquired abrod be used in your country?

I don't know. I can't predict the future, but I believe that everything can be useful somehow.


4. What are your future plans?

I want to become a high school teacher. I also want to found a family.


5. How was your experience?

Good.


6.What can you say to motivate people to go abroad too?

* Studying abroad is a worthy experience.
* The more languages you speak, the more possibilities you have.
* The more friends you have all around the world, the more flexible you are in case you want to travel or in case you just want to get out of your country for whatever reason.
* Your friends at home will love to hear stories from somewhere else. (To be honest, this point is quite weak in our digital age... )


7.How did your experience/s change or affect how you think and your personality?

I think it didn't change me much. A third person's opinion might be useful to answer this question.


8. What is the most difficult thing for you when you have stayed in Korea?

Not to upset professors with critical thoughts. At Kyung Hee University I once experienced an Austrian student who criticized a Korean professor's teaching method directly, and I tell you, the professor went furious: "Who do you think you are? I'm a professor! I'm 51 years old! How old are you? Stand up! Come to my office with me!"


9. Why did you decide to come to Korea than other countries?

Because I knew Korean before I came here and wanted to improve it.


10. Do you think that the period you've stayed in Korea will be usefull in your future?

I don't know. I can't predict the future, but I believe that everything can be useful somehow.


11. Have you ever experienced a racial discrimination?

No.


12. What is the best necessity to be a global talent?

Being able to communicate well.

No comments:

Post a Comment